The Political Research Organization of the Seminary was founded in January 2004 with the efforts of a group of teachers, who taught political science at both the universities and the seminary. This Organization currently has 250 members, of which 230 of them either hold a doctorate or have studied the advanced levels within the seminary.
The objectives of the Organization are as follows:
1. To deepen and develop the specialized discussions within Political Science;
2. To strengthen and expand theorization, inquisitively, free-thinking, critique and debate coherent with Islamic teachings;
3. To elevate the academic and spiritual ranks of teachers and researchers;
4. To utilize the existent specialisations to optimal effect;
5. To Strengthen communications between prominent scholars of the seminary;
6. To support the seminary in the field of Political Science;
7. To identify the capabilities and resources of the seminary.
In order to achieve the stated objectives, the Organization has placed upon itself the following responsibilities:
1. The production of a strategy plan;
2. An academic review of Islamic Political Science;
3. Holding academic seminars and conferences;
4. To increase the organization members’ academic and professional levels, using varying techniques;
5. To praise the achievements of the researchers and teachers of the Organization;
6. The publication of books and journals;
7. To work in co-operation with other societies and academic centres, inside and outside of Iran;
8. To work in co-operation with seminary and non-seminary institutions, in directing the objectives and responsibilities of the Organization;
9. To create opportunities for co-operation and co-ordination between academic centres;
10. To working in co-operation with religious seminaries.
A general meeting is held twice a year, at which the board of directors and auditors are elected. There have currently been five sessions of elections held for the board of directors and auditors. The names of the members elected to the board of directors and the auditors, in order of period, are as follows:
Board of Directors for the first period, Sirs: Najaf Lakzaei, Ghulam Reza Behruzilak, Abdullah Nazarzadeh, Ali Reza Rahbari and Abdul Wahhab Furati.
Auditors for the first period, Sirs: Ghulam Hasan Muqeemi and Najaf Hedayetizadeh.
Board of Directors for the second period, Sirs: Mohsen Muhajirniya, Mohsen Rizwani, Ahmad Reza Yazdani Muqaddam, Mohammad Setudeh and Ali Reza Rahbari.
Auditors for the second period, Sirs: Khalil Amirizadeh and Mohammad Bukaei.
Board of Directors for the third period, Sirs: Ahmad Reza Yazdani Muqaddam, Mahmud Shafi’i, Sharif Lakzaei,Abdul Wahhab Furati, Masoud Pourfard, Mohsen Muhajirniya and Ms. Najme Kaykha.
Auditors for the third period, Sirs: Mohammad Bukaei and Khalil Amirizadeh.
Board of Directors for the fourth period, Sirs: Najaf Lakzaei, Ghulam Reza Behruzilak, Mohsen Rizwani, Mahmud Shafi’i, Mohammad Ali Hussainizadeh, Sayyid Kazim Sayyidbaqiri and Masoud Pourfard.
Auditors for the fourth period, Sirs: Sayyid Jawad Meerkhalili and Ali Reza Na’ij.
Board of directors for the fifth period, Sirs: Mansour Meer Ahmadi, Mahmud Shafi’i, Masoud Pourfard, Sayyid Kazim Sayyidbaqiri, Abdul Wahhab Furati, Sharif Lakzaei and Ahmad Reza Yazdani Muqaddam.
Auditors for the fifth period, Sirs: Mohsen Muhajirniya and Mohammad Bukaei.
In order to achieve the desired activity and according to interest, the organization formed 13 academic groups, each of which undertake academic activities within its own specialist field.
The groups are as follows:
1. The Philosophy of Politics, headed by Dr Mahdi Umidi
2. The Jurisprudence of Politics, headed by Dr Mohsen Muhajirniya
3. The Theology of Politics, headed by Dr Ghulam Reza Behruzilak
4. The Qur’an and Government, headed by Dr Masoud pourfard
5. Strategic Planning, headed by Dr Najaf Lakzaei
6. Iranian Studies, headed by Dr Ali Reza Rahbari
7. The Islamic World, headed by Dr Mohammad Setudeh
8. The Sociology of Politics, headed by Dr Reza ‘Isa Niya
9. The Religious Seminary and Political Science, headed by Dr Ahmad Reza Yazdani Muqaddam
10. The Methodology of Politics,headed by Dr Mohammad Pezeshki
11. The Islamic Revolution,headed by Dr Abdul Wahhab Furati
12. Transcendent Politics, headed by Dr Sharif Lakzaei
13. Women Studies,headed by Dr Najme Kaykha
The organisation has currently held more than 150 specialised academic conferences, in addition to more than 15 workshops; aimed at increasing and deepening the discussions, within the established groups. It is worth noting that the first international festival on Imam Khomeini, focussing on Islamic Political Thought, being held in January 2013, is just one of the current projects of the Political Research Organisation.